Veteran Service Officer

Where do I go to find out about my benefits?

Contact the Veteran Service Officer (VSO) for Montrose County:

The VSO is located at County Administration at 1140 North Grand Avenue and on the West End at Hopkins Field for Veterans Coffee on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.  

  • The VSO can be reached at (970) 249-2115.
  • Walk-in visits are encouraged, but it is better to call ahead for an appointment. 
  • Information may also be obtained from Health and Human Services, 851 Main, Nucla CO 81424, (970) 864 -7319
  • The position of VSO is mandated by the Colorado State Government to ensure you get the benefits you deserve. There is a VSO representing every county in Colorado.
  • The purpose of this position is to familiarize you with your benefits, assist with the application process, and advocate for you, as necessary, to acquire benefits.

Who do we serve?

Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service, under OTHER than dishonorable conditions. Active service means full-time service, other than active duty for training, as a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or as a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service, Environmental Science Services Administration, or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or its predecessor, the Coast and Geodetic Survey as well as National Guard and Reserve. Illness or Injury that was caused by, or previous illness or injury that was aggravated by, your service may still be considered even if you may not meet the above guidelines.

What verification do I need?

A copy of your service discharge form (DD 214 or DD 215 or, for WW II Vets: a WD Form).

Are there fees for the service?

The County Veteran Service Officer does not charge fees for familiarizing you with your benefits, assisting with the application process, or advocating for you, as necessary.