Veteran's Service Officer

Where do I go to find out about my benefits?

Contact the Veteran’s Service Officer (VSO) for Montrose County:

The VSO is located at Montrose County Health and Human Services (MCHHS)
  • The VSO can be reached, by telephone, at (970) 249-2115. Listen to the greeting for office hours.
  • Walk-in visits are encouraged, but it is better to call ahead for an appointment. You may also call the front desk at MCHHS, (970) 252-5000, for additional information.
  • Information may also be obtained from MCH&HS, 851 Main, Nucla CO 81424, (970) 864 -7319
  • The position of VSO is mandated by the Federal Government to insure you get the benefits you deserve. There is a VSO representing every county in Colorado.
  • The purpose of this position is to familiarize you with your benefits, assist with the application process, and advocate for you, as necessary, to acquire benefits.

Who do we serve?

Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service, under OTHER than dishonorable conditions. Active service means full-time service, other than active duty for training, as a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or as a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service, Environmental Science Services Administration, or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or its predecessor, the Coast and Geodetic Survey as well as National Guard and Reserve who have been activated during a period of war or domestic emergency.

What benefits are available?
  • VA Health Care (annual evaluation and treatment
  • Compensation for Service Connected Disabilities
  • VA Pensions
  • Education and Training (G.I. Bill)
  • Home Loan Guaranty
  • VA Life Insurance
  • Burial and Memorial Benefits
  • Transition Assistance (into the civilian job market)
  • Dependents and Survivor Benefits
  • Assistance in acquiring the DD Form 214, Military Records, or Awards

What verification do I need?

A copy of your service discharge form (DD 214 or DD 215 or, for WW II Vets: a WD Form).

How do I apply?

Contact your County Veteran’s Service Officer (970) 249-2115.

Are there fees for the service?

Generally, there are no fees for familiarizing you with your benefits, assisting with the application process, or advocating for you, as necessary.


Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan